Sunday, November 11, 2012

Marcia Clark's new job!

Don't know if you all remember the OJ Simpson trial? Of course we do...so the Marcia Clark
in that trial is now an author...good new job for her!! I hope she makes lots of money and writes many many books! I have definitely enjoyed the two I have read so far....
Perhaps this week I will get back to the library...Mom in serious condition...in nursing home and not doing well at all..I know this is to be a blog about reading but my heart is hurting and this is a safe place to talk about this..I HATE the fact I have to watch my mother die by inches. I am trying to stay strong especially in front of her but I want to tell her that I can't do without her and that I love her so very much and I want to do more things with her and have more days with her as my friend. I do tell her that I love her but I can not and will not try to make her feel guilty for her decisions. She and my father have both said they do not want heroic measures taken. They feel they have lived long and full lives and when they can not function and take care of themselves, that is not quality of life. They have always said they are not afraid to die as their faith is strong and they know they will live with Jesus for eternity. I am so grateful they do have the faith in God that they do and I love them so very much for living their faith all their lives for their children to see.
Mom is 88 and fell one night. She hurt herself very badly and less than 10 days later she had a stroke. Now she is in a nursing home and is not eating or drinking much at all. Her daily intake of food each day has been a couple bites of fruit and some sprite and some coffee! She is very weak of course.
Today I noticed she has increasing jaundice. She tells me that she feels full all the time. She has chosen to drink unthickened drinks since her stroke. She has some swallowing issues but the thickened liquid is really not very thirst quenching. It has been explained to her that she has increased risk for pneumonia by drinking regular liquids, but she says she wants what tastes good. And I respect her wishes. It really is a matter of choosing quality over quantity at this point and I feel I would rather her drink something that satisfies her thirst rather than offering something that tastes nasty and causes her not to drink at all!!
My Dad is 86 and has dementia. He entered the nursing home last December because he was falling quite frequently. He is a very large man, 6'3" and about 200 lbs (he has lost about 50-60 pounds). Mom is 4' 9" and 119 lbs. So she was having great difficulty in the caregiving of Dad at home. Some times Dad knows that Mom is not doing well and then there are times he doesn't recognize her. (That breaks my heart, they have been married 66 years!).
I have been so blessed and thank God that he gave me the parents He did. They are amazing people and have been such a good influence in so many peoples lives. I know God loves them more than I do.
As my Mother has been praying "God's will be done." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment