Sunday, September 4, 2011

Why do I read?

Hmm, good question! I read because books can take you to places you can never go physically. I read because books take you away from yourself and your own world for a while. Books can be very good friends, reading them over and over is like talking to an old friend- you know- the friend you haven't seen for years and the conversation picks up like there was no break in it! Books give you a different point of view. Books can be educational, some are even meant to be!! :) You can meet people in books that you will never have the chance to personally meet due to life circumstances. History books can be amazing in a lot of different ways. I read because my parents taught me the joy of reading, by seeing them read themselves, and by them reading to us. Some of my best memories are of my Father reading a chapter a night to us, Rascal by Sterling North. Mom would take us to the library and we had a librarian who would let us take numerous books out a time. She told Mom that we took such good care of the books we borrowed and we read them so very quickly that she couldn't hold us to the "limit" (which was 3! a person! ) I still come out of the library with my arms full and usually have to go back for more before the time limit of 3 weeks is up. Yes, I am a fast reader and I read instead of watching TV. (Did not grow up with tv in the house, thank you Mom and Dad!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment